Lettings Further Info

We provide a service which we believe to be second to none based on superior knowledge of the lettings industry, property management matters and the towns and villages across Surrey in which we operate.

From our well equipped offices we prepare top notch marketing details and keep in regular contact with relocation agents and corporate companies who move employees in to the area all of which enables us to find you the best tenant in the shortest time possible.

We offer a range of tailor made services to suit your needs which include but are not limited to:

  • Search and Report on Investment/Buy-to-let properties
  • Free Rental Assessments
  • Portfolio Management
  • Independent Mortgage Advice
  • Legislation Advice
  • Tenant Introduction Service
  • Rent Collection
  • Full Management Service
  • Advice regarding Gas and Electrical Regulations
  • Liaising with the Appropriate Utility Companies and Local Authority
  • Routine and Emergency Repairs
  • Quarterly Visits and Reports
  • Vacant Property Management
  • Taxation Advice
  • Concessionary Rates for Portfolio Investors
  • Comprehensive Referencing
  • Rent Guarantee Scheme
  • Information on Specialist Building and Contents Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to get permission to let my property?

[showhide type=”1″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]Once you have decided to rent your property you must obtain the necessary consents from any other interested parties. These may include:

Mortgage Lender. If you have a mortgage or other loan secured on the property, you must obtain approval from your lender before you enter a tenancy agreement. We require a copy of the written consent and details of any special terms before we can arrange a tenancy on your behalf.

If your property is Leasehold (flats and maisonettes), you may need to obtain permission from the Freeholders or managing agent in order to let the the property.

If the property is owned by more than one person, consent for letting must be obtained from every joint owner before any tenancy commences.

For any individual questions or to discuss your letting needs in more detail please contact us.[/showhide]

Do I have to insure my property?

[showhide type=”2″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]You will need to check that your Buildings Insurance policy will continue to provide full cover once a tenant has moved in. You should also check that your Contents Insurance will not be affected by the tenancy.

Tenants are advised to take out their own contents insurance when renting, however you must continue to insure any appliances, floor coverings and soft furnishings which will remain in the property. [/showhide]

What regulations relate to letting my property?

[showhide type=”3″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]There are a number of regulations that you must comply with when letting a property. Our experienced staff will advise on the specifics relating to your particular property which might include.

  • Gas Safety (installation and use) Regulations 1998
  • The Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations 1994
  • Plug and Sockets etc (safety) Regulations 1994
  • The Furniture and Furnishing (fire) (safety) Regulations 1988
  • The General Product Safety Regulations 1994
  • Part P Building Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings) 2005.


Will I have to pay tax on the rental?

[showhide type=”4″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]

As we all know taxation is a complicated subject with many different variations depending on each individual’s specific circumstances.

If you are going to live in another country you may be considered Non Resident Landlord Letting agents are required under the Finance Act 1995 to withhold Tax from rental received on behalf of a landlord who is non resident unless he or she has an approval number from the Inland Revenue. To apply for an approval number you must complete an NRL1 form once you have received an approval number we can pay rental received to you in full.


What should I do to prepare my property?

[showhide type=”5″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]A well presented property either for sale or to let will always attract the best response. In order to set the best possible standard and hence attract the best tenant at the most favourable rental, the following should be considered:

  • Redecoration where required
  • Professional cleaning of the property including carpets and drapes
  • Gardening service

Tenants will expect the property to be supplied with a television aerial point and a telephone line. It is the tenant’s responsibility to connect the telephone line and purchase a television licence.[/showhide]

Should I let my property Furnished or Unfurnished?

[showhide type=”6″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]You may choose to let your property furnished or unfurnished, largely speaking this does not affect the rental level and the demand is equal.

  • Unfurnished properties must have suitable carpets and/or floor coverings, curtains and light fittings/shades. It is very likely that the white goods for the kitchen (cooker, refrigerator and washing machine) will be required.
  • In addition to the above, furnished properties must include suitable furniture for all rooms.

It is advisable that you remove all items of high monetary or sentimental value together with all personal effects.[/showhide]

Do I have to have an inventory?

[showhide type=”7″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]
Yes, an inventory is an essential document.

  • Importance of an inventory [PDF 106K]

You will need Acrobat Reader to view the document above.[/showhide]

How long will it take to let my property?

[showhide type=”8″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]Average time taken to let varies from location to location and on the season however, a well presented and well marketed property at the correct rental should let within one month. Our staff will tell you about competitive properties in the area, about potential tenants requirements and how to present your property so that it appeals to potential tenants.[/showhide]

Who will rent my property and what type of tenancy agreement will be used?

[showhide type=”9″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]Again the type of tenant varies but we will only introduce corporate or professional individuals to you. We reference all prospective tenants and will only recommend a tenant once the referencing checks have been satisfactorily completed.

The type of tenancy agreement will depend on various circumstances surrounding the tenancy and our staff will advise you on the most suitable agreement and explain the effects of that agreement together with your responsibilities and obligations at the time. All agreements will include clauses relating to the tenants obligations to care for and look after the property and the landlords responsibilities to maintain the fabric of the building.

There will often be specifically negotiated clauses for each and every tenancy which might include the provision for the tenant to install broadband or satellite at their own cost or that no pets are kept at the property or that the rent be increased for a second year; our staff will advise you on which clauses and the wording of such clauses which might be suitable or necessary at the time.

  • Example section of a tenancy agreement [PDF 305K]

You will need Acrobat Reader to view the document above.[/showhide]

Will I have a deposit?

[showhide type=”10″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]Yes, we usually hold a deposit equal to one and a half months rental for the term of the tenancy. We hold the deposit as stakeholders which means that at the end of the tenancy the two parties to the tenancy agreement should jointly agree on the apportionment of any deductions for the deposit, e.g. for the costs or compensation for damages, or for breaches of, or failure to comply with, the tenant’s obligations.

Any proportion in dispute should not be paid over by, or taken by, either party until and unless mutual agreement is reached, or unless an appropriate third party makes a decision.[/showhide]

Who are/what is ARLA?

[showhide type=”11″ more_text=”View” less_text=”Close” hidden=”yes”]ARLA stands for Association of Residential Letting Agents. ARLA is the only professional and regulatory body solely concerned with residential lettings. It keeps members up-to-date with changes in legislation and the many other requirements for a successful lettings practice. ARLA members are governed by the ARLA Code of Practice providing a framework of ethical and professional standards at a level far higher than the law demands. For further information, please visit the ARLA website

In order to comply with ARLA’s membership requirements, ARLA members are formally interviewed to confirm their business meets a stringent code of conduct, holds separate client accounts and demonstrate these are professionally managed and audited; holds professional indemnity insurance cover to comply with the requirements of ARLA’s Fidelity Bond.[/showhide]

For any individual questions or to discuss your letting needs in more detail please contact us.